Are you one of those people who likes to reinvent leftovers instead of just eating them as they were originally? I definitely feel that because it can be a little boring to eat the same thing several times.
A great way to transform any sort of roasted vegetables or chicken is to use them in tacos – so throwing it in a tortilla with extra toppings.
I had some leftovers roasted chicken thighs, as well as mixed roasted vegetables. The chicken was on the bone so I cut all the chicken off and just heated it up in a pan with a splash of water. The veggies took a little more effort. I had roasted cauliflower and bell peppers, so I cut those up into smaller pieces and started heating them up in another pan, with a bit of oil. I also added some frozen corn and some shredded zucchini (just for a different texture) to add more variety. I simply seasoned with garlic, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. It was a nice little veggie mixture.
Once I had my veggies and chicken all heated through, I assembled them into tacos. I had some guacamole at the bottom of my tortilla, followed by all the “leftovers”, and topped with shredded lettuce and some pickled onions, which add the perfect touch of sweet and sour.
No one will complain about eating leftovers if you turn them into tacos. Trust me.
- 1.5 cups cooked chicken, off the bone, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups leftover roasted (or fresh/frozen) vegetables*
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp each: cumin, smoked paprika, salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 6 tortillas to serve
- Choice of toppings to serve: guacamole, sour cream, lettuce, tomato, salsa
*Good options for leftover roasted vegetables include sweet potato, cauliflower, bell pepper, carrots, zucchini, onion. If using fresh/frozen vegetables, make sure they are cut small or quick-cooking, such as corn or zucchini.
- Place chopped chicken in frying pan with a splash (~2 tbsp) water. Cover with lid and heat over medium-low until reheated.
- In another pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add all vegetables and saute a few minutes until heated up. Add garlic and all seasonings. Cook another 1-2 minutes, ensuring everything is cooked through.
- Lay tortilla on a plate and all vegetables, chicken and choice of toppings. Serve hot. Enjoy!