I am a big fan of cauliflower. It is such a versatile vegetable and I have many blog posts that feature it! Probably my favourite preparation is making CAULIFLOWER WINGS. Check out these posts: Maple & Sriracha Cauliflower or Buffalo Cauliflower Bites.
My cauliflower now was starting to go bad so I had to cut quite a few parts off. Because of that, I decided it would best to make CAULIFLOWER RICE, which is my second favourite option! I love eating regular rice but sometimes it’s nice to switch it up and have this veggie version instead. I have made a more traditional Chinese fried rice with cauliflower rice before and it was so delicious – check it out here – and it has vegetarian/vegan options.
Today’s rice had a Mexican spin. It has bell pepper and onion, as well as some spicy sausage. Everything is seasoned with lots of spices – chili powder, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and smoked paprika – so there was no lack of flavour. Like I mentioned, I used a spicy sausage which I loved with all the other ingredients, but you could definitely use a mild sausage too.
This was such a good meal and this recipe is the perfect serving for one person, but you can easily multiply for more people. It is super filling but very nutritious!
You can check out the video of me cooking this recipe on my Instagram as well as on Tiktok!
PS. I had more raw cauliflower rice so there is another recipe going up on Friday!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper (I used leftovers of 2 peppers), chopped
- 1 sausage, chopped (veggie version, see below*)
- 2 cups raw cauliflower rice
- 1/2 tsp: chili powder, oregano, paprika
- 1/4 tsp: cumin, salt, pepper
- 1/8 tsp: smoked paprika
*Vegetarian/vegan alternatives: use meatless sausage or substitute with 1/2 cup cooked black beans. Can also omit altogether
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion and pepper until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add sausage and cook another 2 minutes, letting it brown slightly.
- Stir in cauliflower rice and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender. Add all seasonings and cook 1 more minute. Serve immediately.
4 Comments Add yours
This looks yummy! I love making cauliflower rice. Eat as much as you want and still below the calories of having white rice. Love it!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I know it’s so great!
LikeLiked by 1 person