I am a big fan of cauliflower. It is such a versatile vegetable and I have many blog posts that feature it! Probably my favourite preparation is making CAULIFLOWER WINGS. Check out these posts: Maple & Sriracha Cauliflower or Buffalo Cauliflower Bites.
My cauliflower now was starting to go bad so I had to cut quite a few parts off. Because of that, I decided it would best to make CAULIFLOWER RICE, which is my second favourite option! I love eating regular rice but sometimes it’s nice to switch it up and have this veggie version instead. I have made a more traditional Chinese fried rice with cauliflower rice before and it was so delicious – check it out here – and it has vegetarian/vegan options.
Today’s rice had a Mexican spin. It has bell pepper and onion, as well as some spicy sausage. Everything is seasoned with lots of spices – chili powder, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and smoked paprika – so there was no lack of flavour. Like I mentioned, I used a spicy sausage which I loved with all the other ingredients, but you could definitely use a mild sausage too.
This was such a good meal and this recipe is the perfect serving for one person, but you can easily multiply for more people. It is super filling but very nutritious!
PS. I had more raw cauliflower rice so there is another recipe going up on Friday!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper (I used leftovers of 2 peppers), chopped
- 1 sausage, chopped (veggie version, see below*)
- 2 cups raw cauliflower rice
- 1/2 tsp: chili powder, oregano, paprika
- 1/4 tsp: cumin, salt, pepper
- 1/8 tsp: smoked paprika
*Vegetarian/vegan alternatives: use meatless sausage or substitute with 1/2 cup cooked black beans. Can also omit altogether
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion and pepper until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add sausage and cook another 2 minutes, letting it brown slightly.
- Stir in cauliflower rice and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally until tender. Add all seasonings and cook 1 more minute. Serve immediately.