Happy October everyone! Squash season is here and I can’t wait to get into those recipes! But today, I am cooking with summer squash – zucchini.
Remember when spiralized veggies were super popular? I still love making them. Today’s recipe uses zucchini noodles aka zoodles.
This meal was a real throw everything together and use up leftovers kind of dinner. I had these zucchini and tomatoes in the fridge that were starting to go bad, so I figured they would be perfect here. I also had leftover chicken – I used breast but dark meat would be good too. It turned out amazing.
To flavour everything, I went with a really fresh and bright palate. I used olive oil, lemon juice, chili flakes, garlic and capers. It was a little spicy but that went well with the sweet tomatoes. I also loved the salty punch of the capers – and that is the reason why I did not add any salt to the dish.
It was so delicious and a very healthy dinner. I love a big bowl of noodles but eating zoodles instead is much lighter and equally satisfying. Also it’s crazy that this bowl was 2 whole zucchini, it just shrinks down so much when it cooks. I ate this all myself but you could split it for 2 people if eating as a side dish.
PS. You can check out the video of me cooking this recipe on my Instagram, in my reels!
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 zucchini, spiralized
- 1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes, or to taste
- 1 heaping tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp capers
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet, over medium heat. Add tomatoes and cook 3-4 minutes until they begin to soften. Add zucchini noodles and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp oil and all other ingredients. Cook couple more minutes until chicken is heated through. Serve hot.