I know I just made tacos last week (check them out – Buffalo Broccoli Tacos) but today is National Fajita Day and I had to celebrate! I just love Mexican food so I will use any excuse to cook some up.
I decided to make a relatively traditional fajita with some chicken breast. There was also sauteed peppers and onions, which are one of the defining characteristics of this dish. I seasoned the meat and veggies with homemade taco seasoning. I say this all the time, but making your own taco (or any spice mix) is usually easier, cheaper and healthier. I usually have a pretty well-stocked spice rack, so it is very convenient for me to mix up some spices instead of buying pre-made from the store. My spice mix today consisted of: cumin, chili powder, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
The veggies and chicken would be delicious on their own in a tortilla, but I took it up a few notches with the toppings. I had some shredded lettuce, avocado, cilantro and a little salsa. You could also change up the toppings depending on what you have in your fridge. Some other possibilities include diced tomato, guacamole, green onion and sour cream. I love having lots of toppings because all the flavours and textures combine to make a delicious bite.
TIP: Want to make fajitas for a crowd? Prepare big batches of the chicken and peppers/onions and place those in large serving dishes. Then cut up a variety of toppings and place those on another platter. Everyone can build their own fajita with exactly the ingredients they want. So fun!
This is just the perfect weeknight dinner that comes together in no time. This is such a fresh meal and you can really feel good about eating all these vegetables. This is also very low in fat since chicken breast is so lean and there are only 2 tbsp of added oil used in cooking.
I hope you have a chance to make some fajitas to celebrate. And if not today, there’s always tomorrow!
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 bell peppers, sliced (I like using 2 different colours)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into strips
- 1 batch taco seasoning, recipe below
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Tortillas, for serving (GF: use GF tortillas)
- Toppings (optional but extra yummy): shredded lettuce, avocado, cilantro, salsa
- Heat 1 tbsp oil over medium in a large frying pan or skillet. Saute peppers and onion, about 5 minutes, until softened and starting to turn golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Add the other 1 tbsp oil to pan. Add chicken and saute 4-5 minutes until fully cooked.
- Add vegetables back to the pan and stir to combine with chicken. Sprinkle in the taco seasoning and stir until everything is fully coated. Stir in lime juice.
- Serve in tortillas with desired toppings.
- 1 tsp: cumin, chili powder, paprika
- 1/2 tsp: oregano
- 1/4 tsp: garlic powder, salt, pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside until ready to use.