I don’t think you’re ready for this one. Blueberry + Cheesecake + French Toast = AMAZING MEAL. Yes you could eat those components separately and be happy, but eating them together makes everything better. And all the parts are very simple so you have no excuse not to make the whole dish!
Let’s start with the blueberry. So this was a quick and easy compote that was ready in about 10 minutes. You just have to combine the blueberries with some sugar, water and lemon in a pot the cook down until it starts to turn into a sauce and the berries begin to break down. This was so simple and you can do this same process with any other berry (or combination of berries). This compote is also great on yogurt or ice cream!
Next is the cheesecake portion. This came in the form of a yogurt-cream cheese mixture. It was equal parts softened cream cheese and plain greek yogurt, with a little maple syrup and vanilla. It’s a good way to get cheesecake flavour in about 2 minutes. This was very similar to the cheesecake mixture I used for parfaits from a little while ago (Cheesecake Parfaits).
Last but not least was the actual french toast! This is the base for the two delicious toppings that I just mentioned. Fresh challah/egg bread is delicious but if you have leftovers, french toast is your chance to use it up. Once you make the simple egg/milk mixture, it’s just about dipping the bread and then pan frying on both sides! I love french toast but you could also make pancakes or waffles and top them with the yogurt mixture and berry compote.
I actually made this meal for dinner but obviously it would be great for breakfast/brunch too. I know you will love it to, so let me know if you try it yourself!
- 1 pint blueberries
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Combine all ingredients in medium pot and cook down on medium until syrupy and blueberries start to soften, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. (Optional: Gently mash some of the blueberries with a spoon)
- Let it cool slightly (or all the way) before serving. Can make up to 3 days in advance, stored in airtight container in fridge.
- 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix cream cheese and yogurt in bowl until smooth. Stir in maple syrup and vanilla.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve. Can make up to 3 days in advance, stored in airtight container in fridge.
- 8 slices challah/egg bread (GF: use GF bread)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Oil or butter for frying
- In shallow dish, beat egg, milk, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Heat 1-2 tbsp oil in large frying pan, over medium heat.
- Dip bread one piece at a time into the egg mixture and place in hot pan. Cook a few minutes per side until golden.
- Continue with remaining slices and add more oil for each batch. Also be sure to lower the heat as you go if you notice the bread is getting too dark in colour.
- Serve with blueberry compote and cheesecake topping.