Like some of you out there, I spend part of my days watching videos on TikTok. One of my favourite types of videos on there is the cooking videos (for obvious reasons). I have made some in the past and posted about them – Tortilla Wrap, Peanut Butter Dip & Ramen – and today I have another one. I saw this snack a few weeks ago and it seemed interesting.
These are called Banana Snickers, and it is supposed to be a healthier version of a snickers bar. I’m all for healthy snacks but I feel like comparing this to a snickers is a bit of a stretch. Yes there is chocolate and peanuts, but we are missing the nougat (my fave part) and the caramel. So while I feel that the name is a little misleading, I still really enjoyed this snack.
I don’t know the ‘creator’ of this recipe, but I just wrote the measurements for what I used. It is so simple though, you don’t even really need a recipe. It’s also only 5 ingredients and I’m sure you have all of them already.
The base is a banana, cut in quarters to get long flat pieces (cut in half then cut again, lengthwise). Peanut butter is spread on top – this is a little difficult because the banana is wet but you can gently pat it dry with paper towel before spreading – and then sprinkle with chopped peanuts. The final touch is a drizzle of melted chocolate (with some oil to make it more fluid). These get popped in the freezer until the chocolate is firm and the banana is frozen. This is a very rustic but still good looking snack.
I had no doubts that banana, chocolate and peanut butter would work well together. The frozen banana almost becomes like ‘nice cream’ when you take a bite and I love the crunch from the chocolate and peanuts. Using semi sweet or dark chocolate helps to cut some of the sweetness so it’s not just a sugar-loaded snack. This is a treat you can feel good about and it will help cool you down on a hot day!
- 2 bananas
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 3 tbsp peanuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup dark or semi sweet chocolate (DF: use DF chocolate)
- 2 tsp coconut or vegetable oil
- Cut each banana in half and then again, lengthwise, to create 4 long flat pieces of banana (8 total). Lay them on a baking sheet lined with parchment/silicone mat.
- Spread peanut butter on bananas, ~1/2 tbsp on each one, then sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
- Melt chocolate chips (using microwave or double boiler) and then stir in oil. Drizzle evenly over bananas.
- Place pan in freezer for 30-40 minutes until chocolate is firm and banana is frozen. Store in airtight container.
One Comment Add yours