I love summer for many reasons, but a big one is all the fresh produce that comes in season. Right now, strawberries are peaking so I had to take advantage.
I made these super colourful (and a little Christmassy looking) crostini. They are quite simple to prepare and are the perfect little appetizer or snack. They could also be for dinner with a soup or salad.
The base is a baguette – sliced on a bias to get larger pieces – that is toasted until crispy and slightly golden. Then I spread a nice layer of farmer’s cheese (leftover from when I made blintzes – link here) but you could use ricotta, mascarpone or goat cheese. This just gives a really nice creaminess that contrasts well with the crunchy bread.
Next comes all the toppings. This is where you can go any direction you like and switch up the fruit and flavourings. I will tell you about what I made but I wrote out a few other combinations that you could try. My crostini had strawberries, mint, honey and black pepper. The honey and berries are a little sweet but the black pepper gives the perfect amount of spice to cut through. I also love the freshness of the mint, so bright and flavourful.
These were so delicious and my family loved them. I only used half of a large baguette for this recipe which means I can make more (maybe even multiple varieties). I hope you make these and love them as much as I do!
Other topping possibilities:
- peaches, mint & balsamic reduction
- pear, fig, thyme & honey
- tomato, basil & balsamic reduction
- 6-8 slices baguette, 1/2″ slices & on bias (GF: use gluten free baguette)
- 1/2 cup farmers cheese (alternatives: ricotta, mascarpone or goat cheese) (DF/vegan: use DF cheese spread)
- 4-5 large strawberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp honey (vegan: use balsamic reduction)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lay baguette slices on baking sheet. Bake 8 minutes until crisp and golden. Let cool.
- Spread cheese on slices, then top with strawberries and mint. Drizzle honey and sprinkle with pepper. Serve immediately.