Eggs are such a staple in my house. Whether they’re scrambled, over easy, omelettes or quiche, some form of eggs (whole or whites) are consumed a few times each week. And with so many possible preparations, you will never be bored with breakfast!
Here is a delicious recipe that uses a combination of whole eggs and egg whites, for a lightened up quiche. There are also sauteed peppers and onions which add nice colour and texture. And of course, I sprinkled a little cheese because cheese makes everything better.
This was such a comforting but simple recipe. The great thing about quiche is that you can adjust them to use whatever ingredients you have in your fridge. Alternate veggie options could be zucchini, broccoli, mushrooms, spinach or tomato. You can still follow the same directions with different vegetables, aside for the tomato which I would just sprinkle on top raw (no sauteeing). And other cheese options could be feta or goat cheese. Those are not melting cheeses but they would definitely still get gooey and work well here.
Breakfast is all about starting your day with delicious and healthy food options. By taking your quiche to another level with this recipe, you will always look forward to cooking one up.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 3 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup half & half cream (milk is fine too)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium. Add onions and cook about 8 minutes until softened and turning golden brown. Add bell pepper to the pan and cook additional 3-4 minutes to soften those. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Place sauteed onions and peppers in the pan, followed by the cheese.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, cream (or milk), salt and pepper. Pour mixture all over cheese and vegetables.
- Bake in hot oven for 25-30 minutes until egg is set and slightly golden on top. Let sit few minutes before serving.
Before I go, just wanted to remind you that I will not be posting next week because I will be celebrating Passover. So my next post will be April 5th which is the same day that my next newsletter (April edition) is going out. Make sure you click here to subscribe and I will see you then!