Announcement before I get into this post! Just wanted to say that if you are interested in signing up for my email newsletter, you can do so by clicking here –> SIGN UP. The next one will be going out on Monday, February 1st. You don’t want to miss out 🙂 .
I am very excited for this one. I haven’t had a sheet pan meal in a long time and I have no idea why. This type of meal is so great because there is so little prep and clean up. The whole meal is one one pan and you don’t have to worry about different cooking times! The only other sheet pan meal I’ve posted was Italian chicken and vegetables, it was really tasty too — check it out here.
This pan has bone-in chicken thighs (or legs), as well as sweet potatoes and broccoli. I seasoned everything with a flavourful mix of spices in olive oil. I went for a Mexican theme with the flavours which was delicious. If you wanted to take a little shortcut with the spices, you could use ~1 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning and just mix that with the oil. That would have a similar flavour profile and be equally tasty!
To ensure that the potatoes and chicken cook at the same speed though, make sure your potato chunks are not too big. It’s also important not to overcrowd the baking sheet. If you want to make more chicken/vegetables than the recipe says, I would suggest using a second baking sheet so that everything has enough space to cook evenly.
This was such a good meal. The chicken was so tender and juicy, as well as perfectly seasoned with all the different spices. The potatoes were also well-cooked and a little caramelized which gave some extra texture. The broccoli was nicely roasted too.
If you didn’t want to use chicken, you could use the same oil/spice mixture on a 1lb piece of salmon. It would only take about 25-30 minutes to cook. That being said, you would have to cook the sweet potatoes about 10-15 minutes before adding the salmon and broccoli to the pan. Whatever you choose, you’re going to love the flavours of the spices.
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (or legs), I prefer skinless but you can leave it on if you like
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped (4 cups)
- 1 small broccoli, chopped (2 cups)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp each: chili powder, paprika, oregano and cumin
- 1/2 tsp each: salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 1 large baking sheet with tin foil first AND then parchment paper for really easy cleanup.
- In small bowl, combine oil with all spices.
- Place sweet potatoes and broccoli in large bowl and toss with about half of the oil mixture. Spread them on to half of the baking sheet.
- Put chicken on other half of pan and top with remaining seasoned oil. Rub it in a little with your fingers to get them well-coated.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, tossing veggies every 15 minutes, as well as rotating the pan to ensure even cooking.
- Serve immediately. Feeds 3 people.