I’ve been loving celebrating random national food days. The last one I did was earlier this month with the Cream Cheese Alfredo for national spaghetti day – see the post (click here). The holiday I’m celebrating today is national blueberry pancake day which is actually tomorrow (January 28).
This was a super easy breakfast (or any meal – I love pancakes for dinner). I did take a shortcut which makes this even easier and that was using pancake mix! I got this huge bag of Krusteaz pancake mix from Costco and you just need to add water! Couldn’t be simpler.
Today, to make these blueberry pancakes, I just sprinkled some berries on the pancakes while they were cooking. Nothin much to it. If you didn’t want blueberries, another fruity option is to mash up a banana into the batter, so yummy! You could also sprinkle chocolate chips or chopped nuts into the batter/directly on the pancakes as they cook. But of course, since these were for blueberry pancake day, I opted for the blueberries.
I normally like to make my own pancake batter, but this mix is so simple. It’s great if you’re in a rush to get breakfast on the table. Especially with this mix, the pancakes come out so light and fluffy.
Another thing you can do is make a double batch of pancakes and put some in the freezer for a later date. That way, you have pancakes ready and they just need to be thawed and heated! 🙂
- 1 1/2 cups pancake mix (I like Krusteaz brand)
- 1 cup water*
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- Nonstick spray
- Maple syrup, for serving
*Adjust the amount of water for the consistency you like. For thicker batter, use less water. For thinner pancakes, use more water.
- In medium bowl, combine pancake mix and water until smooth. Let it set a few minutes.
- Heat pan over medium heat and coat with nonstick spray.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Sprinkle a few blueberries on each one. Let them cook about 1 minute on first side, until there are lots of bubbles.
- Flip pancakes and cook another 30 seconds. Serve with maple syrup.