You already know how much I love Chinese and Korean flavours when I cook. I probably eat something in those cuisines at least once a week. This korean beef bowl is one of my faves. The original recipe is from Damn Delicious (recipe link) and it is so tasty. I have made the recipe as is many times with just the ground beef, sauce and rice, but other times, I like to add my own spin. Today, I went with the latter and have written out my recipe below.
There is nothing wrong with the original recipe but it’s always nice to add some veggies whenever possible to a meal. Here, I have used onion, carrot and zucchini which give some colour and texture. It is very versatile though, and you can use the vegetables you have on hand (ie: broccoli, cabbage, bell pepper, mushrooms). I also used veggie ground round instead of real ground beef which is a nice vegetarian substitute. One more change is to sometimes serve it on noodles/pasta as opposed to rice.
And as for the sauce, I’ve played around with the ratio of brown sugar to soy sauce, I like it a touch sweeter than the original recipe. I also upped the amount of sesame oil to give a little more richness. Last thing was adding freshly minced ginger for an extra bite – I love fresh ginger so much.
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 pack yves ground round
- Cooked pasta or rice, for serving
- In measuring cup or bowl, combine all ingredients for sauce. Set aside until later.
- Heat olive oil (medium heat) in large pot or frying pan. Add onion and carrot, and cook 3 minutes until beginning to soften. Add zucchini and cook 2-3 minutes more.
- Crumble in veggie ground round and mix with all vegetables until heated through. Stir in sauce and it all simmer for 2 minutes until bubbly and slightly thickened.
- Serve over cooked pasta or rice. Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
One Comment Add yours
LikeLiked by 1 person