I know I just posted that egg & cheese breakfast sandwich the other day (link here), which was super tasty, but I wanted to share another yummy breakfast idea. I’ve also been on quite a cheesy/dairy streak recently – my last posts were Cheesy Nachos, Chocolate Covered Cheesecake and now here we have cheese in these scones. These are called scones to me but I think they are pretty similar to biscuits – no matter what you call them, they’re delicious.
This recipe couldn’t be simpler and they’re made with 100% whole wheat flour which means they are packed with fibre. Another great thing about these scones is that they are quite easy to customize. My original recipe uses cheddar cheese and green onion but you could change that up to what you have on hand. Some possibilities include:
- 1/4 cup feta cheese and 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese and 2 tbsp minced jalapeno pepper
I’ve mentioned this in the recipe itself (see below), but you could also easily make these scones vegan/dairy free by using DF milk and either DF cheese or omitting the cheese altogether. The scones will be equally yummy with any of the mix-ins.
Once you’ve mixed in whatever ingredients you chose, the next fun part if deciding what you’re going to put on your scone after it’s baked. I love to cut mine in half, spread some butter and lay a couple slices of tomato on top, then a little sprinkle of salt and pepper. It’s simple but always delicious.
Since these scones are on the savoury side, it kind of prevents the possibility of putting any sweet toppings (ie: jam, peanut butter, nutella). HOWEVER, if you omit the cheese and onion from the recipe, the scones become much more neutral in flavour and you can put any sweet or savoury toppings that you wish. The world it yours, now go make some biscuits!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (vegan/DF: use DF cheese or omit altogether)
- 2 tbsp green onion
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup milk (vegan/DF: use DF milk)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cheese and green onion.
- In small bowl, mix oil with milk. Pour wet mixture into dry bowl and stir until fully combined.
- Portion dough into 8-9 equal balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 18 minutes, until golden brown.