Before I get into this post, I wanted to explain why I didn’t post anything last week. I had my posts for the week all drafted and ready to go because I don’t like to do anything last minute. But over the weekend (end of May), with all the protests and violence happening in the USA, it didn’t feel appropriate to do my posts as usual. I wanted to use my power on social media (even though my following is not that big) to speak out about some of the injustices.
We, as a system, need to change. That is the only way that things will get better. The violence needs to stop. The hate needs to stop. That’s all I’m going to say about this right now. So I took a step back the past week to reflect and educate myself to become a better ally. That’s one thing that I am doing, I hope you will do the same. There are so many books and movies that shine a light on racism, I have attached a link that you can check out (click here). We need to be there for one another.
I love sweet potato fries. I like sweet potatoes in general, but fry form is one of my faves. They don’t get super crispy when baked but they get nicely caramelized which gives them incredible texture.
This was a really easy side dish and you could have them with any meal – burgers, chicken fingers, fish – or just eat them as a snack.
There are a couple key steps to having great fries:
- They need to be approximately all the same size – length and thickness. That way, they cook evenly and you don’t end up with some over/under-cooked pieces
- Lay them as close as you can to a single layer on your baking sheets. This will ensure even browning on all fries. So if you are making a double batch, it would be a good idea to use 2 baking sheets.
The fries are delicious on their own but serving them with spicy mayo dipping sauce takes them to another level of deliciousness. If you aren’t a fan of spice, you could just make a mayo + ketchup dipping sauce, that would be tasty too.
- 1 1/2lb sweet potatoes, washed, skin on, cut into sticks (~1/2″ thick, 3″ long)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp each: pepper, paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (vegan: use vegan mayonnaise)
- 2 tsp sriracha, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line 1 large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, toss sweet potato fries with olive oil and all spices, until well coated.
- Lay fries on baking sheet, ensuring they are close to a single layer. Bake for 40 minutes, flipping every 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- While fries are baking, make dipping sauce by combining mayonnaise with sriracha in a small bowl. Set aside until fries are ready.
- Serve fries with dip and enjoy!