Frozen tart shells are such a great cheat in the kitchen. If you’re short on time, they’re ready to go for quick meal prep. You can make pies for dessert but also quiches for breakfast. When you make a bunch, you can have a variety of flavours so everyone gets exactly what they want. You could easily use a large pie shell and make a large quiche but the little ones are cuter and they bake in way less time.
For these mini quiches, I only made 2 flavours because I wanted to keep it simple. The first one was spinach, tomato and cheese. The other one was green onion, olive and cheese. Both turned out delicious. You could put whatever combination of veggies and cheeses that you like. Just make sure to not fill them too much because they might overflow.
Another thing about these quiches is that I used egg whites, but you could use beaten whole eggs. And as for seasoning, I kept it basic by only using a little salt and pepper.
I baked these quiches in 2 steps. The first part was the shell with the veggies and egg; second part was with the cheese on top. This allowed the quiche to be semi-cooked so the cheese stayed on top and formed a little cheese crust. They were golden brown and beautiful.
- Mini tart shells, thawed
- Chopped veggies (ex: spinach, bell pepper, olives, tomato) — 1-2 tbsp/quiche
- Salt and pepper — small sprinkle/quiche
- Liquid egg white or beaten whole egg — 1-2 tbsp/quiche
- Shredded cheese, any melty variety (ex: mozzarella, cheddar) — 1/2 tbsp/quiche
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lay parchment paper or tin foil on baking sheet, for easy cleanup.
- Place tart shells on prepared pan. Fill shells with desired vegetables and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Pour egg white/beaten whole egg on top to just fill the tart.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven and carefully sprinkle cheese on each quiche. Return to oven and bake 10 minutes more, until golden brown and melted.