Passover finished yesterday which means I can go back to my everyday foods. Unfortunately, my fridge is pretty empty so I don’t have much fresh produce right now. Until we can get to a grocery store, probably on the weekend, I will be using mostly pantry items for my cooking – we have beans, lentils, pasta, tomato passata and some meat in the freezer. I’m excited to see what I can make with the limited selection. I will have the first of these new/non-Passover recipes on Monday 🙂
For now though, here is an easy quinoa salad that I made over Passover. I only learned recently that I can eat quinoa on Passover so I was pretty happy. It is a nice matzah-free side dish.
This was salad was so easy to make. I just used some tri-colour quinoa (you could use regular quinoa too), and mixed that with some crunchy veggies and a bright dressing. Delicious things don’t need to be complicated.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup cucumber, chopped
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Combine quinoa and water in medium pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to low, stir, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper. Taste dressing and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Put the quinoa into a large bowl, don’t worry if it is not totally cooled yet. Add in cucumber and tomato and mix with quinoa. Pour dressing over everything and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to eat. Enjoy. Serves 4.
One Comment Add yours