Welcome to week 2 of this cooking challenge! I hope you liked the zucchini recipes and you can check them out any time in the Zucchini category under 1 Item, 3 Ways (or by clicking here). You can also see every zucchini recipe I have ever posted on my blog by clicking this link here.
This week I am posting about sweet potatoes! I love sweet potato, they are just so much tastier (and healthier) than other (red, white, yellow) potatoes. This first recipe is quite simple and has very few ingredients. This preparation of sweet potato really emphasizes their natural sweetness and makes for such a great side dish.
- 1.5lb sweet potato (peeled & chopped into 1-2 inch cubes)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp: salt, chili powder
- 1/4 tsp: black pepper, cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional – for extra kick)
- put cubed potatoes in large bowl with oil and all seasonings; mix well
- spread into single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet
- bake in 400 degree oven for 40 minutes, mixing every 10-15 minutes
I didn’t want to mess around too much with the flavours – I wanted something very basic but slightly elevated at the same time. The cinnamon helps to enhance the natural sugars in the potato and the chili (and optional cayenne) adds a little heat and extra yumminess. You can always add more chili and cinnamon, depending on how you like it. You could also cut the potatoes into fry shapes for a more classic preparation, they just might take a little longer to cook.
The potatoes got super soft, sweet and a little caramelized. This is such an easy recipe (similar to my simple roasted vegetables that I posted a little while ago) but the addition of cinnamon and chili powder make them so good.
If you liked this recipe, let me know in the comments. And as always, let me know what ingredients you want to see me use in the future! 🙂