Grilled cheese is one of those things that takes you back to your childhood – at least for me, it does. There is something just so comforting yet simple about it and you can’t go wrong with lots of melty cheese. My palate has definitely gotten more refined since I was young, so I made things a little more exciting than simply bread and cheese.
Here’s everything that I used in my sandwich: mashed avocado, canned tuna, chopped pickled peppers, aged cheddar cheese and kale/oregano pesto. I put all that between 2 pieces of this awesome whole grain bread then cooked it in a panini press. All those flavours (with touch of spice) and textures (creamy, crunchy) worked well together and made a delicious panini/grilled cheese/whatever you want to call it (haha).
So I turned a typical tuna melt into a sandwich then made it even better by using the panini press to get it supercrispy. I feel like cooking any sandwich in a panini press just takes it to a whole other level. I bet even a simple PB&J would be incredible if you prepared it this way.
I had this for dinner (with a side salad) but honestly, it would be good for any time of day. It was such a delicious sandwich, I sort of wish I had another one right now to eat.
- 2 slices bread, whole wheat is healthiest
- 1/2 avocado, mashed
- 1/4 cup canned tuna
- 2 tbsp pickled peppers
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (any melting cheese will do)
- 1 tbsp pesto
- Spread avocado on one piece of bread. Distribute tuna and pickled peppers evenly on top of avocado. Sprinkle cheese on top of everything.
- On second piece of bread, spread the pesto. Flip this piece onto the loaded first piece and press together with your hands.
- Place sandwich in panini press and cook until golden brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Cut in half and enjoy!