I do love a classic PB&J (peanut butter and jelly) but an equally good combination is PB&B (peanut butter and banana). I put those flavours into a yummy baked oatmeal square. I have made something similar a little while ago, but without the peanut butter (Breakfast Oatmeal Cookie). Although both were delicious, I think I liked this version more.
If you’re trying to make new things for breakfasts, you should make this. You can make it as simple or complex as you like. The basic recipe has just FIVE ingredients – old fashioned oats, banana, milk, peanut butter, and cinnamon – but you can add mix-ins to make it more complex. Just make sure that your mixture isn’t too wet or else it might not firm up nicely.
I just put some chopped kiwi and pear on mine (but you can put any fruit you want) and drizzled a little maple syrup. This was a delicious breakfast.
You could eat that mixture straight from the mixing bowl – if you’re in a hurry, just eat this mixture as a bowl of oatmeal, without baking. But after it is baked, it firms up but is very soft and gooey. Give it a go and let me know what you think!
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 2 tbsp milk (vegan/DF: use non-dairy milk, like almond or oat)
- 1 tbsp peanut butter, crunchy or smooth are good
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp choice of mix-ins (optional): chocolate chips, sliced almonds, shredded coconut, chopped dried fruit
- Choice of toppings (optional): maple syrup, yogurt, chocolate chips, chopped nuts, chopped fresh fruit (like kiwi, berries, mango, pear)
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 375°F. Line small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put oats, banana, milk, peanut butter and cinnamon in medium bowl. Stir until well-combined. Add mix-ins of choice (if desired) and mix again.
- Dump mixture onto prepared pan and form into square (or circle), making it about 1″ tall and 5-6″ wide. Put in oven and bake for 10 minutes. It should be firm to the touch and a little golden brown around the edges.
- Move cookie to plate and serve as is or with any desired toppings. Enjoy!
2 Comments Add yours
This looks so good..thanks for sharing this tasty and healthy recipe
LikeLiked by 1 person
thank you for your nice comment 🙂